Tuesday 22 July 2008

Back to University


Just got back from a fantastic week at University (London South Bank) studying for my post graduate certificate in Local Governance. I really have enjoyed the experience and learnt such a lot. Just wished I had had the opportunity to do this course when I was a new councillor instead of the old "has been" I am now. Still, better late than never, as they say.


The course takes us through the theory and practice of local government, covering local democracy and leadership, policy making and regulation, and finally service delivery. I have completed the first module on democracy and leadership, and am now getting into policy and regulation.


Has the paint dried for you yet?


It may sound a little heavy, but as a practitioner of local politics this is all very good stuff, and is demonstrating and showing me that there is much work to be done in order to better engage with local people.


No comments: