Wednesday 9 April 2008

A note from my mate Daniel our MEP

Well, the four-month ban on communicating with Conservatives is over, the Euro-selections are complete and I am back as your candidate. Thank you to all those who voted for me; and thanks, too, to the many who voted against me (and, in some cases, took pleasure in letting me know precisely why).
There have been
grumbles about the voting procedure, but I’m pleased that more than 13,000 people voted in the South East – not counting the several thousands more who inadvertently spoiled their ballot papers as a result of the complicated voting system. Hard-core anoraks can view the full results here.
A lot of things have happened since I was last allowed to post these updates, though regular readers of my
blog will have been following them.
Tony Blair has been named as a
possible President of Europe. Several MEPs protested against the ratification of the European Constitution without the promised referendums, and were fined for doing so. I led a filibuster against the ratification of the Constitution, and was thrown out of the EPP for my pains, thereby fulfilling the pledge that I made at my selection.
Meanwhile, I was among the protestors who
lobbied Parliament for a referendum on the Constitution. And I was delighted by the 89 per cent “No” votes, and the high turnouts, in the ten constituencies lucky enough to be allowed unofficial referendums.
In the mean time, here are some of the thoughts I’ve had on a few random subjects:
Let’s have more conscience votes
Independent schools deserve charitable status
Children’s television rots our brains
Why MEPs won’t publish their expenses
Was Shakespeare anti-Semitic?
End the Cuban blockade
Cameron invites the cameras
The best biography ever written
Who has the best national anthem?
The case for Britishness
Brussels is subverted by lobbyists
Gordon Brown looks like Shrek
In praise of turkeys
That’s the last time I’ll plug my blog. If you’re interested, you can read me in the Telegraph every day at www.hannan.co.uk.

No comments: